We spend a third of our lives sleeping but the bed is also the
Beside changing bedding, many people do not pay too much importance to the bed itself. If you want to know how to clean the bed and get rid of the dangers lurking in your beds, follow the steps below. The bed is not just a mattress and a wooden, fabric or metal bed frame – it is also a pillow, bed, blanket, mattress cover and other accessories that should be considered when cleaning your bed.
Proper bed cleaning involves the change and obvious washing of bed linen. Bed linen must be changed once every week if you cannot change it every few days, as would be ideal. Bed linen should be washed at a temperature above 60 ° C and with a suitable detergent so that it is disinfected but it is important that the detergent does not cause allergies.
After the mattress has been uncovered, if you can, take it outdoors and give it a good shake. If not, you can also vacuum it on both sides. Use a brush that can be attached to the vacuum cleaner to remove dirt and dust that have been impregnated in the fabric. It is very important that the mattress passes through this process because specialists consider it one of the dirtiest. If the mattress has fresh spills, you can use a cleaning solution but only on the affected surface because it is totally unsuitable to use water to clean the mattress. Leave the solution for 10 to 15 minutes, then use a cotton cloth or a tissue to absorb moisture.
Persistent stains on bed mattresses, particularly urine stains, can be removed with hydrogen peroxide. You can use hydrogen peroxide straight from the bottle or cut it with two parts water and put it into a spray bottle. Spray the affected area until it is damp. Blot dry with a cloth or paper towel and allow to air dry.
Do not neglect the bed frame! Whether it is made of metal, fabric or wood, it must be properly taken care of.
• Metal frames: Dust, then check for rust spots. Brush away any you see with a stiff wire-brush and paint with sealant to prevent it reappearing.
• Wood frames: Dust, periodically checking that screws are tight.
• Fabric frames: Brush away the fluff, then vacuum using the upholstery tool. Do not wash the fabric! It is hugely difficult to dry and you risk damaging it.
The pillows, before being dressed in clean pillowcases, will need to be very well shaken and even washed if this is allowed. Pillows are one of the
Dress the bed in clean linen and cover it with a blanket that performs both an aesthetic and a functional role – you can then enjoy a restful sleep in clean and beautifully scented bedding.
Tips and tricks
• Use a mattress protector cover that you can change often and launder in the washing machine in cold or warm water, on a gentle or delicate setting. Use a bleach-free laundry detergent – bleach can damage the waterproof backing of some covers.
• Pillowcases need to be changed more often, at least twice a week or even more often, also ironed very well to sterilize them.
• Unwrap the bed every time you go on holiday to give it the chance to air the mattress.
• Keep an eye on the humidity in your bedroom because too high humidity can cause the mattress to become heavier and lose its original features. Why not invest in a hygrometer? Humidity caused by sweat infiltrates deep into the mattress and is often caught there for a long time. It is the perfect environment for
• It is not advisable to dry clothes in the bedroom or near the bed.
• The mould can be of several colours: black, white, red, orange, yellow, blue or purple. Put a drop of bleach on the coloured area: if the stain changes colour or disappears altogether it is mould – look for similar stains and thoroughly clean them. Sometimes the mould is in places that are not visible to the naked eye. The smell of moisture or a smell of soil indicates the presence of the mould to be searched and removed.
We wash our clothes regularly, so with our own bed linen should not be different. Keep in mind that an old/damaged bed or bed linen can cause blockages in the couple’s life.
Please share it with your friends and comment your opinion.